Sunday, September 21, 2008

Join a club the fastest way to improve your kneeboard surfing


Neil Owen off the top Flyns Reef

Mentoring… the quickest learning curve to get the most out of your surfing…

No matter what age YOU start surfing 13yrs of age or 50 yrs you can still short cut the time it takes to kneeboard surf at a good level, so if you are interested in improving, getting more out of your surfing and having more fun on the waves you had better read on!!! .

So Stan how do we short cut our way to better surfing success Easy get yourself a surfing mentor. .what I mean by mentor is surround yourself and hang with the best kneeboard surfers in your area …You will learn a lot…

If there is anything in life you want to be better at, associate with people that are better than you in those areas and you watch your level elevate, you will be amazed..


How do you find people to mentor you to better surfing success Easy join a
kneelo boarding club and if you don’t know where to look I’ve got links attached to this sight click on the ones in your country and try to contact someone through that sight they will be able to help you.

Stan I’m not good enough to join a club and compete in contests… This is rubbish and an attitude that won’t allow you to grow & improve your surfing… I call this self sabotage.

Joining a club will get you in contact with some really great people and improve your surfing to a level that you would not of achieved if you were surfing with nobody you could learn off.

“I don’t care if you never win a heat in club contests” and if you think that’s its not worth you surfing because you can’t win, get off your high horse you’re missing the lesson… Your not competing for ego. You should be there to enjoy the company of others the mentoring that comes with it and the growth in your own surfing ability you have achieved just by hanging with better surfers.


I know I’ve been there I started surfing on a body board when I was 16 yrs old 6 months later I got my first kneeboard and my friends were surfing in a club I went to watch. The President of the club (who has became a close friend) asked me to join I said I wasn’t good enough but he convinced me to join and I did.

I was lucky because in the club were three of the best knee boarders in the world
Tim Kadwell, Phill Chadwick and Peat Fairweather as well as a host of other hot kneelos.

I had it tuff from the start these guys were so good at surfing that I was too nervous to even speak to them, but I knew I wanted to try and surf like them. They gave me the vision and this was only given to me by joining a board club..
I think I came last in the first heat for 3yrs, did I give up, no but with surfing against better surfers. I began to become a better surfer to finally in my fifth yr in the club I won our club title. From these initial humble beginnings I have achieved Several Club titles in 3 different clubs, State championships and have been the first Victorian to win an Australian title .

I’m not stating these facts for ego but to show you that if you want to be the best kneeboard surfer you can, join a club. I would have never accomplished what I have done in kneeboarding if I never surrounded myself with better surfers .

Another great Kneelo surfer I know Neil Owen started surfing at age 38 joined a club and also entered Australian kneeboard pro am events, not that he could win but wanted to improve his surfing. He lost lots as well, but he knew to get good and to get something out of the sport you have to surf with better surfers.
Finally in 2006 He won the 2006 Australian Pro-am title in the R.O.B division 11 years after he began kneeboarding against kneeboarders that have been surfing for 30yrs longer…

Become a better knee boarder join a club surf with and against better surfers, surf state rounds and Pro-Am Events lose lots DON’T SPIT THE DUMMY but learn the lessons and enjoy how much you grow as a person and surfer…

If you want to see learn and surf with the best Kneelos in the world and you would love to watch kneeboard action that will blow your mind no matter what country your from. The hottest kneeboard action and intense and longest running contest in the world. Join us at The Phillip Island Kneeboard Classic 24th & 25th November.

Because there is nothing like that kneeling off the ceiling feeling Cheers
Stan Kofoed

No comments: